Monday, 28 January 2008

Bread Bag


This is my talego (or taleigo)- a Portuguese bread bag. Actually "talego" means any cloth draw-string bag, but when I learnt the word I thought it was exclusively for bread and I like that definition best. I love when a foreign language has a word that doesn't exist in English. It's like discovering a new taste. I studied philosophy at university and if I had continued investigation (I ran as quick as I could) I would have looked at the philosophy of language. Not semantics, but how the very grammar of language can structure thought. Apparently there are Asian languages that have no "I", so any reference to "oneself" is always embedded in the family or community. How would that affect you?
I think I am a different person when I speak Portuguese. I feel proud that I taught myself. I feel proud that I can pretty much express anything I want. And if I can't the problem is the idea, not the language. Though of course I make frequent mistakes (a teeny weeny vowel changes a "cake" to a "fuck"). Still, after leaving Portugal 3 years ago, I find myself wanting to say something in Portuguese because it captures an emotion better. Or when I'm tired a mutant gobbledigook of the two results "I'm just descasrcaring the potatoes" (guess).
How can Portuguese not have a word for "awkward"? And how can English not have "Saudade"? Best described as missing, or longing. I have "saudades" for who I am in Portuguese. I'm definitely taller, funnier and blonder. And I care a little less what people think of me. You have to when you run the risk of making hugely embarrassing linguistic mistakes. Either you don't care or you don't talk. And I need to talk.
Big digression. It started with "draw-string bread bags" that are "talegos" and I'll continue to ignore anyone who corrects me. Though I don't use my talego for bread, no. Just to confuse matters. This is my bread bag:

Most talegos I've seen have been patchwork, reusing scraps of fabric. There were many examples I coveted while waiting at my local bakery in Lisbon, where the old ladies queued and gossiped and some still used their talego to carry their carcaças (bread rolls) dangling from a wrist.
My favourite example is this one from Sandra Pereira.
This is Saloia's. And so is this.
Marta Mourão makes beautiful new ones, to match her aprons.
And I like this one too.

12 comments:

Luciano Lema said...

"definitely taller, funnier and blonder" :D

and please do digress!

Unknown said...

I've been making drawstring bags too (we are always on the same page these days) but now that they have a new name they are much less boring. fantastic post!

Suse said...

Both your bread bag and talego are beautiful!

And now I'm off to look at those you linked.

jude said...

brother, the writer one, lived in portugal for a while and also loved and learned the language. as he does balinese. he is always explaining the differences in words and expression with the same sort of enthusiasm that you do. i love the bread bags. another great item made from cloth!

i am seriously learning turkish now and i hope to have some stories too! and i will stitch them into something for sure.

saloia said...

:D
yes!!

Marta Mourão said...

Hi Alix, I like the way you like portugal :)
It´s my favorite place in the world.
Thank you for the link in your post.
Oh, and my favorite word in portuguese is "saudade" :)

Rute Nieto Ferreira said...

i'm embarrassed to admit i didn't know what 'talego' meant, so i feel suddenly enriched! i do love how Portuguese words are so specific and 'independent' - english words are much more logical and descriptive (which makes it an eassir language to learn, i guess).
like pillowcase (= fronha), fireplace (lareira), hanger (cabide), bread bag (=talego)... -> look at me using new words!
thanks Alix.
*

EW said...

Hi Alix
I had to laugh at the mention of the cake turned into a fu**. My husband is English, and when he moved to Portugal, after a while, when he started feeling comfortable with his Portuguese, he asked for a queca instead of a queque in the local coffeshop ;-O
I really enjoyed your post. It is true that speaking in different languages makes you feel almost like a different person, and some things come out so easy in one language, but not in the other.
I'm Portuguese, but I lived in Germany till I was 12, and also in England as an adult. I use these 3 languages daily, and the "ideal world" to me would be to be able to use them together...
Rgds
Liz

Unknown said...

once i asked for a tourada when i meant to order a torrada...

i say i'm descascaring the potatoes all the time!! i think it comes from cooking dinner being one of the times i was forced to practice my portuguese while i lived there...

ted and agnes said...

Love these bags Alix and think I shall make some for my bread....as for different languages my only experience was learning to swear in french BUT I do have a constant struggle with rural yorkshire twang now thats something I'll never fathom!!!

Fernanda said...

I'm surprised to find someone else who feels the way I do, although the other way around. I'm Brazilian and ever since I started learning English as a young child I figures out that it's "easier" to be yourself in another language. Maybe it has to do with the fact that when you're not speaking your own language you kind of let go all the mistales, mispronunciations, and not so clear ideas.
Anyway, loved your blog. We'll be checking often.

Alix said...

It's nice to find so many people living "between" languages.
Rute - One result of the way I learnt Portuguese is that I don't know the difference between slang, regional words and proper "received" Portuguese. It's all one big stew.
Liz - 3 languages... the stew just gets bigger and richer.
Two Agnes' in one day. wow. And "Abstract Lady". Thanks all for your comments.

I'm going to add my worst "faux pas" in Portuguese, I thought it was too rude for main post. I went into an icecream palour (gelateria)and distracted by choosing flavours I asked for "Uma cona com avela e framboesa por favour*"!!! The girl stared at me, I then realised my mistake and started to giggle and she just looked even more worried. Oh dear. Didn't go back in a hurry.
(* A cunt with hazelnut and raspberry please) OOps