Monday, 19 November 2007

TV....

On Saturday I had a Sky representative at my door trying to sign me up for Satellite and when I said I didn't have a TV she straight away looked at Ruben, by my side, and said "how do you look after your son then?". I was speechless. For a few seconds. Then said "People seemed to have managed for millennia to bring up children before there was TV". She nervously giggled, looked down at her notes, realised that all her selling patter didn't account for this eventuality and almost ran away.
I know I am a minority. The TV licencing man told me that "98% of households have a television" when he visited last month to check my house. He told me I "had" to let him in to verify I was telling the truth. When I asked him under what law he had the right to enter my home, and did he have a warrant, he answered "we find that most people are lying", "well I'm part of the 2% that don't have a TV, you just said we do exist" I replied. I realised there was another man trying to look through my kitchen window and they were signalling to each other. "Well if you've go nothing to hide why can't I come in your house and check?" ..." Umm something called "principles" and a free state...innocent until proven guilty...Can I come round to your house and search through everything so I can confirm you're not a drug dealer?" I was getting a bit annoyed by then. He said "just doing my job love" then added "What's your favourite programme?" as if that was suddenly going to catch me out! He left with a wry didn't-catch-you-this-time-but-just-you-wait smile.
A few of weeks ago a friend and daughter came over and not long after they arrived the girl was looking around perplexed, she said "Mummy, where's the TV?". Her mother searched around too then answered "It must be in the bedroom". It didn't cross her mind that I might not have one. I didn't bother to correct her. Though when people do find out there's often a defensive justification"oh yes well, we don't watch it much either, it's err very principled of you etc. etc." as if I am judging them. Which I am not, or no more so than any circumstance where one chooses differently is an implicit judgement. But then they are equally judging me, as me them.

Why am I writing this? I suppose I'm just a bit tired of feeling so estranged by what seems like a non-consequential choice. I rarely bring the subject up, but recently I feel very challenged. Why is it such an affront that I am different?

I haven't had a TV for over 10 years, long before Ruben. I do like films, series, documentaries and the news. In fact too much. I found I wasted hours viewing crap and the easiest solution was to get rid of it. It also coincided with living in Portugal. British TV has many failings, but Portuguese TV is, how to put this delicately...more crap. I remember one Christmas trying to watch "Gone with the Wind". Already a pretty lengthy film, try adding regular 20 minute advert breaks, were talking well over 5 hours total. Then with 5 min to go before the end, another 20 min advert break! I really would have hurled my glass of wine at the set had it been my house. In Britain you barely have time to dash to the loo, put the kettle on and the programme has started again. Anyway I digress. I have compulsive tendencies (Internet being a current delight and a problem). I've removed all games on my computer - even solitaire. I've found my way of dealing with compulsions is to remove the temptation. In the meantime I'm slowing working through what are the root causes.
But basically by now I'm just used to not having a TV.

One issue is I don't want Ruben to be ostracised by his peers for not sharing conversations and communal memories that revolve around favorite TV programmes. I thought I would be confronted with this when he was a bit older but already the playground banter revolves around spider man, transformers and even big brother. I would like him to have a healthy and selective attitude to television. There are programmes that seem great (we particularly love Charlie and Lola). Recently I bought a DVD player for the computer, took out some kids classic series from the Library only to find the bugger won't work.

This weekend we went to the cinema for the first time, part of the London Children's Film Festival. 8 Short animations indicated for 2+ year olds. But the reaction wasn't great, it was mixed. I loved everything but I think for Ruben, despite the storylines being appropriate, the fast cut editing, the enveloping sound effects, the huge screen... it was a bit too much. I learnt my lesson that although he has the verbal age of a 5 year old, and pretty good rationalising, he has the emotional state and maturity of his 3 and a half years.

I would like to use the Internet more to find films to watch. I will explore YouTube but at present I find it overwhelming and just view recommendations from others (Glenn Gould via wish jar and Shadow Puppets via SouleMama to name a few). But this weekend in a bid to find positive viewing experiences I rediscovered the National Film Board of Canada's online Animation Library. Ruben and I shared a few magical minutes watching a Chairy Tale by Norman Mclaren with music by Ravi Shankar. It's just a man trying to sit on a chair... a nugget of life exploded into a fantastical duet, a tussle of characters, movement and communication. The man is a lyrical genius. Then we saw the Owl Who Married a Goose - An Eskimo Legend by Caroline Leaf (image below). So so beautiful and tender. It's in Innuit, but the words are music and you can understand all through the images.



Once Ruben was in bed I watched Very Nice, Very Nice, by Arthur Lipsett, his first film. A collage of photos, film and sound that give a portrait of...of what..a feeling of contemporary anxiety, that although made in 1961, its sentiment seems current.
I will delve more into their archive but I wanted to share what I'd found and assert that I do love film. I love good film. I learn and feel a lot through film. I just happen to not want that box in the corner and I wish I could be left alone to make that choice. If anyone reads this far, thank you for hearing my rant. If no one does, I don't care. Writing it felt good.

9 comments:

charlie farlie said...

Alix, i love the balls you have to have a go at the TV man, thats why i love knowing you. Looking forward to Fridayb xx

saloia said...

:)
We signed up for cable for the internet and free long distance to the states and England :) and others in Europe...

They give you alot of free channels at first for about 3 months and then take it away and then when you don´t sign up they give you the channels again and then call you at dinner time asking if you would like the 4.95 euro a month deal for the channels after 3 months free!!!

whew....maybe I should just get rid of IT ....but then I couldn´t get totally free long distance...

We should not have signed up in the first place...

its good to rant sometimes!

hugs from rainy Sintra ...(not all sun...see)

Mary

Tallulah said...

I read to the end. And I wish I was as strong as you are towards my compulsions, all of them from chips to freecell to turning the tv on just to have a voice going in the house. I do agree on Portuguese TV too, and coming from Italy, I'm a connoisseur of crap tv...

alice c said...

Hello, I was recommended your blog and I am glad to have the chance to read this post. I was brought up in a house with no TV because my parents believed it would damage our imagination. I have three siblings and I do not think that it made any of us read or play music or sport any more than we would have otherwise. It did mean that we did not have access to current affairs or a visual library or cultural references that our contemporaries took for granted. I must have been the most naive teenager ever to start university.
My own attitude to TV with my children was to encourage them to choose what to watch - using video if necessary so that they did not watch whatever was on. They also had to watch as an uninterrupted activity so if they were watching a film there had to be enough time to watch the whole film. It was never used as backgound to other activity. I also encouraged a critical approach.
TV has never been an important part of our family life but it is something that we can do together and gives us something to discuss and laugh about with our well informed teenagers - unlike the silent house of my childhood.

ritacor said...

I am one of those that read you ´till the end, and couldn´t agree more...
TV these days is pure rubish, apart some rare channels, like 2: in portugal.
It´s the only channel I watch at home, and very occasionally.
I couldn´t get rid of the TV, beacise it´s perfect for some evenings with nice DVD´s, but would gladly get rid of the antena if I could ;)
I totaly understand your point of view and I think it´s an act of bravery to stand up for the stupidifying box, that endangers our children.

Thank you for sharing, Alix :)

Unknown said...

Não deites a internet fora por favor, senão vamos ter muitas saudades. E Este é o dvd de que te falei: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Wolf-Prokofiev-Suzie-Templeton/dp/B000JJRA96 Não te deixes enganar pela capa, que é mesmo bom.

Alix said...

Charlie - **

Mary - It's a slippery slope...;-)

Tallulah - The problem is one compulsion is just replaced by another and only now am I confronting the need to "escape" into something else. If I were strong I wouldn't be at the comupter at 2am!

Alice - So interesting. Sounds like you have found the balance I would aspire to with your own kids. Thank you for telling your story.

Rita - I need a few evenings in with a film too! got to find a solution.

Rosa - at present the internet is a window I depend on and is staying put! though I do need to control it, and not it me. Thanks for the link*

Camilla said...

I grew up in a house without tv because my Dad was a tv cameraman, and didn't want to bring work home with him. I can't say I missed out on much, sometimes I feel a little out of it when people are talking about 70s kids tv or music, but I must've caught up on it enough now to understand most of the references on tv now. My new flat mate told me the other week that he's never met anyone who turned the tv off more than me, not just when I leave a room, but...whilst i'm actually in the room! I have a tv ever since I left home, went thru a phase of watching it all day (whilst a student), now I just watch what I like- maybe one show every other day. Having said all that i'm off to watch tv all night now...

Luciano Lema said...

We don't have television either. I mean, we do have a tv set but only for watching movies on dvd and stuff like that (by the way thanks for sharing the NFBC links with so many wonderfull animations to explore).
We're also concerned about the tv influence / absence on our almost three years old daughter. In the end, using a film metaphor, this is almost a blue pill / red pill decision.